05/07/2021

A woman dies from being infected with carnivorous bacteria in Florida

2 min read
A woman identified as Lynn Fleming died this week after contracting a necrotizing fasciitis (known as carnivorous bacteria).
carnivorous-bacteria-in-Florida

A woman identified as Lynn Fleming died this week after contracting a necrotizing fasciitis (known as carnivorous bacteria).

As reported by relatives of the victim in an interview with FOX 13, the woman was cut as a result of a fall while walking on a beach in Florida.

At first they did not give much importance to the cut, since it was too small. They tried to lower the swelling of the blow, “but it continued to bleed”, they explained.

Two days later, the woman went to the doctor. There, they injected him with a tetanus shot and gave him antibiotics. However, the next day Fleming was found unconscious in his house.

When he entered the hospital, the doctors gave him first aid when he realized that he had contracted necrotizing fasciitis. The surgeons performed multiple surgeries on the infected leg, but they could not keep it alive. Fleming died two weeks after the accident on the beach.

carnivorous-bacteria-in-Florida
Photo taken from PeriĆ³dico Cubano

One in three people who are infected by carnivorous bacteria are at risk of dying, says the US Center for Disease Control and Prevention. According to the institution, between 700 and 1,200 cases are registered every year.

This is the second case recorded this week in the US, when a 12-year-old girl was diagnosed with necrotizing fasciitis who managed to recover after several surgeries and medical therapies.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *